Before we can distribute the internship offers to you, all available offers will be exchanged on an international level once in every year. After the exchange sessions we finally receive about 40 to 50 internship offers which we can distribute to students in Munich.
The exchange process
The internship offers by research institutes or companies find their way to the trainees in five steps:
- First of all, every local committee raises internships in its area of responsibility. Furthermore every local committee collects the pre-applications from interested students until the 30th November, in order to get an idea of the required amount of internships.
- Every local committee announces its own internship requirement to the IAESTE national committee before a certain deadline. We will send our requirement list to the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The internships raised by the local committees will be gathered directly at the national committee.
- Every year in January there is a General Conference (GC) that is attended by the representatives of all the IAESTE national committees. Every representative brings the internship offers from his country and also an overview of the national internship requirement. In the GC the internship offers are exchanged in several exchange sessions between the representatives of all countries. The following principle applies: number of the internships offered = number of internships received.
- Every year in February the national committees distribute the internship offers that they received at the GC to the affiliated local committees. This distribution is based on the requirement lists created by the local committees. Additionally there is a National Exchange Conference that is attended by the representatives of all the local committees. At this national exchange conference it is possible to exchange internship offers with the other local committees since the first distribution by the national committee is not always the best. This is our chance to get the best internship offers for you!
- Finally the internship offers are distributed to our applicants in February every year. Since there are 40-50 internships p.a. available for Munich and the number of the applicants is approximately 180, up to four applicants will be offered the same internship. In case of multiple acceptances we will decide about the final distribution according to the pre-applications. Should all the applicants be equally qualified, we have to choose randomly.
For the regular application procedure you have to submit an pre-application that is completely without obligation. The dead line is every year the 30th November.
As soon as we offered you an internship, you have to decide if you are definitely willing to accept the internship offer. In this case you have to pay a deposit of 145 Euro that you will of course retrieve after finishing your internship. Afterwards you will receive all the documents that are necessary for the final application. From that moment on you are the only applicant for this internship. Of course it is on your responsibility to write an application as good and expressive as possible that will be forwarded by the DAAD to the company or research institute offering the internship. The application documents in the regular application procedure must be sent to the DAAD every year before 31th March.
From April the company or the research institute will decide about your acceptance. Usually most of the applicants are accepted, in case they sent a proper application. After the acceptance there is nothing left standing in the way of your internship!